Our Mission and Aims
ECO-UNESCO is Ireland's Environmental Education and Youth Organisation affiliated to the World Federation of UNESCO Clubs, Centres and Associations (WFUCA).
ECO-UNESCO was founded in 1986. ECO-UNESCO is a company limited by guarantee and a charity.
To promote the personal development of young people and raise environmental awareness through practical environmental projects.
ECO-UNESCO’s aims are:
- to raise environmental awareness, understanding and knowledge of the environment among young people
- to promote the protection and conservation of the environment
- to promote the personal development of young people through practical environmental projects and activities.
- to promote the ideals of UNESCO
- ECO-UNESCO promotes a deeper understanding and appreciation of the beauty and importance of the natural world.
- ECO-UNESCO encourages a respect for nature thus encouraging respect for diversity, which in turn will lead to a respect for all diversity to include cultural and social diversities.
- ECO-UNESCO promotes active environmental stewardship by understanding of the linkages between human behaviour and our wider environment.
- ECO-UNESCO's programmes and services aim to prepare young people to take a more active, positive and responsible role in society.
- ECO-UNESCO provides young people with the opportunity to learn directly about how to work together to better their local communities.
Raising of Self-esteem:
ECO-UNESCO's work is based on two simple ideas: "learning by doing" and "thinking globally, acting locally". When a young person gains hands-on, practical experience through local environment projects, they develop new skills, confidence and self-esteem.
ECO-UNESCO's promotes environmental appreciation, conservation work, civic-mindedness and social responsibility among young people.